Sunday, April 11, 2010

Turtles

Today's prompt was a bit beyond me. I'm a terrible decision maker, so any decision I make is a big one, and then once I decide I try not to dwell on the unpicked choice lest I change my mind. So today, instead, I take my friend's challenge of writing a poem based on a recipe, as I mentioned in my previous poem, Poemnannigans. Think I bested her?

Turtles

Line baking sheets with parchment paper,
coat lightly with unsalted butter.
Arrange 100 pecan halves
in groups of five in the shape
of a turtle.
Make sure all nuts
touch in the center.

Combine fourteen ounces
sweetened condensed milk
with one cup of
light corn syrup in a
three-quart sauce pan.
Cook over medium heat,
stirring occasionally with
a wooden spoon.
Remove from heat
when the mixture becomes
caramel-colored.

Lightly grease two serving spoons.
Carefully spoon one tablespoon
of hot caramel onto each group
of pecans
to form the body of
the turtle.
Cool thoroughly at room
temperature
for one hour.

Melt ten ounces bittersweet chocolate,
coarsely chopped,
in a double-boiler or in
the microwave. Stir in
one tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Use a spoon to drizzle
the chocolate over
the caramel,
completely covering and forming
the shell of the turtle.
Let rest at room temperature
until firm.

(Makes 20 Pieces)

No comments:

Post a Comment