Monday, April 26, 2010

The Most Feared Mistress

Today's prompt is ... well not possible for me to accomplish. As I've said plenty of times before, I don't write poetry very often (I am doing NaPoWriMo at the insistence of a friend), so I don't exactly have any scraps of poetic attempts laying around to use. So it's another off-prompt day.

The Most Feared Mistress

"The man was a fool."
I tell everyone, but
I'm only trying to convince myself.
I look out to the sea,
that cruel mistress who
stole my husband. The
salty air fills my lungs
with countless stories
of the blue.

Like many men, my husband
took to the sea for treasure.
He commandeered ships,
he fought the royal navy.
Or at least he did
in the stories he told.

But word came,
from a toothless cabin boy,
that he drowned with his ship
after a terrible storm.

But no more mourning,
no more tears!
I'll take to those sails,
under the black flag.
Then we'll see,
yes the sea,
who then is the most
feared mistress of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment