Friday, July 15, 2011

Go blog about it, princess.

Getting a blog going seems to be a lot more complicated than I had anticipated. At least, it is when I complicated it beyond reason (something I seem to be able to do to just about anything).
Finding the MEANS to do so was simple. So much so, in fact, that I already had the space. I'm a time traveling wizard, see...
No but seriously, I made this Blogspot account over a year ago to post some poetry to for NaPoWriMo 2010, then kinda forgot about it. I'm not really much into poetry. I just don't get it. But the space was made, posted into for a month, then dropped like a hot dog with a bug on it. And just sat here.

One thing I'd always scoffed at was the idea of making money on the Internet. Mostly because my only context for the idea was junk email and the like. But then I started reading more about ad revenue. I am primarily familiar with the idea from bloggers and YouTubers. Generate content... people look at it... there are ads that, even when ignored, generate (usually a small amount of) money. Small amount multiplied by several viewers equates to profit! I mentally shortened this to; generate content=make money.
Blogspot even has an option that can be activated for users to easily put in some Google ads and generate revenue. I don't have it active now, of course, but future use will be looked at.

Now, is it all about money? The short answer is "no." The long answer is "no, and I'll tell you why." I have a lot of things inside of me. And those which aren't disgusting is a lot of feelings, opinions and WORDS. And once I realized "non-fiction" is more than just newspapers and history books, I saw an outlet.

My big problem for a while, though, was deciding what to output. This is where I really complicated the issue. I don't really have a lot of area of expertise, so what do I write about? I can't consistently do politics and general news because I just don't keep up with that. I'm no professional photographer, so a photo-blog was out of the question. I love criticizing things, so reviewing books, games, movies, etc. was an often considered option. But I hesitated because the idea just felt so... overdone. Not that THAT is what specifically stopped me. Despite my claims of being the hipster princess, I didn't not do a review blog because the idea is "mainstream." What stopped me was the idea that of all the review blogs to read, I didn't have any outstanding way to set me apart from any other reviewer. Sure, people could grow to like me as they read my stuff, but I didn't have anything to make me initially stand out above the rest.
Well you get the idea, I was eliminating all my ideas as I thought of them. So, I fished for ideas from others. I didn't want to really, out-right say "Give me ideas please," so I tried to remain a little subtle by asking things like "what would you read?" while trying to not imply, "what would you read so I can write it?" Most of the responses I got to varied related questions ranged from ideas I already had to stuff I couldn't consistently do to just "no."
After a few months of the idea floating up and down, and with the help of a couple friends, I finally settled on one train of thought; because there's a large number of things I could write about; I should. That is, I need to just write whatever I feel like going on a tangent about on a particular evening. Be it about news, games, politics, movies, books, writing in general, myself, others, whatever!
Here or there or somewhere, I'll write SOMETHING that SOMEONE will want to read about. And then my IMPECCABLE charm and wit will push them to read more.

SO! This is a milestone moment. The first of hopefully many posts of me just going on about whatever I feel like going on about. And despite what I JUST said; if there's something YOU want my opinion on or just want me to go on about, feel free to suggest it in the comments of the latest post.

Finally, there are three settings in which you are reading this post;
1) You're reading it as it is/is generally new. If so, thanks for stepping out on this adventure with me--!
2) You're reading this post as it is now quite old and have started here in an attempt to read my back log chronologically. Firstly, I'd like to thank-you for doing so (chronologically) and being organized. Secondly, thanks for being interested, I hope the rest after this is worth reading.
3) You're reading this post as it is now quite old and have read from newest to oldest. For YOU, I'd like to thank for reading everything I have written (everything after this is not related and you can ignore), and hope you'll keep coming back for all the newest stuff.

By the way; what do you think of the name "Wintermint Fruit?" I just used it as a silly name for the poetry thing, but do you think it is fine as a regular blog name, or do you think I should change it? I totally can.

No comments:

Post a Comment